Re: IML: Torsion Bar Front Suspension

I'm amazed that Bob's simple and reasonable comments could illicit such a response. I don't know the man, but I can assure you that from his posts he has driven and owned many cars both with longitudinal and transverse torsion bars. He is one of two true gurus for us efi people. His point was not that the torsion bar was incapbable of producing "better" handling, but that "better" handling is not necessarily the reason that people buy these cars. Most people seeking a car that handles "better" would look to a smaller more nimble car. Many people looking at these cars are/were looking for a soft/cushy ride. I can tell you that I feel Fords/Lincolns were generally "cushier," not that I like that. Remember, that in the 70s and 80s many people refused to jump from their Buicks and Oldsmobiles in Mercedes because of the "stiff" ride. Each car has it's own merits and we ALL drive a car that many people would denigrate, so no reason to start ripping on each other because somebody has a Lincoln or a Caddie too. Despite their many differences, most laymen would find the three remarkably similar.

Rob