Re: IML: Torsion Bar Front Suspension

Yes, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc. could run rings around virtually any North
American car in the early 1960's.   But when comparing North American luxury
cars, the Imperial had the edge in the hadnling department.

I humbly suggest you dig up the road tests from Mechanix Illustrated, Car &
Driver, Motor Trend, Motor Life, Car Life, etc. from 1957 through to the
fuselage era.   The testers all raved about the handling of the Imperial,
although the superiority over Cadillac and Lincoln declined over the years
as Chrysler softened the ride.  As as the ride was softened, the marks
Imperial received for a nice, smooth ride increased.   The 1957-66 Imperials
always won high points for handling, although came in 2nd or 3rd in the
boulevard ride department.

As for European cars not having torsion bars, where do you think the idea
came from?  The 1949 line of Morris and Wolseley cars all had torsion bars
up front (with adjusters at the rear of the bars), leaf springs in  the rear
with Lockheed brakes (dual wheel cylinders up front on all but the Minor) on
all four wheels.  Plus they had rack and pinion steering and unibody
construction.   They, too, received marks for handling, especially the
Oxford when compared to its main competitor, the Austin Devon, with front
coil springs, cam and peg steering and hydraulic-mechanical brakes
(hydraulic front and mechanical rear).   The Wolseley models had single ohc
engines.

Other makes from the late 1940's into the 1960's that used front torsion
bars on various models included Armstrong-Siddeley, Citroen, DKW, Fiat,
Jaguar, Jowett. Lanchester, Lea-Francis, Pegaso, Porsche, Renault, Riley
(their hemi head fours were tested by Chrysler while engineering the 331
hemi V8), Rover, Simca, and the Volkswagen beetle.   The Horizon/Omni twins
were engineered in France , bodies designed in Britain, with torsion bar
suspension.  When Chrysler modified the Horizon for American production, the
bars were dropped and replaced by MacPherson struts.  Some Mercedes-Benz
cars of the 1950's used torsion bars in addition to coils as assist in heavy
use, by the way.

As well, torsion bars were used in the rear by Alfa Romeo, Bristol, BMW,
Citroen, Frazer-Nash. Jowett, Lagonda, Panhard, Pegaso, Porsche, Saab,
Simca, Tatra, and the Volkswagen beetle.

And, back in the U.S.A., the 1955-56 Clipper and Packard could be had with a
4-wheel torsion bar system with load-leveller.

With the arrival of FWD, both torsion bars and coil springs were generally
replaced by MacPherson struts up front.

Bill
Vancouver, BC