Re: IML: '58 A/C further adventures

Two things could likely prevent adequate cooling,
given a good compressor and adequate charge.  First is
the EPR valve.  If the 58 compressor is like the 60,
the EPR valve is externally mounted on the compressor
itself.  It is a 1" thick cylinder with tubing at each
end connecting to the top and bottom of the
compressor.  This will definitely prevent R-134
working to full efficiency, since the valve is
calibrated for R-12.  35 lbs pressure on the low side
is really too high for serious cooling.  The EPR valve
is preventing pressure from getting down to an optimum
of 18-22lbs.

The other item is the expansion valve.  This is where
all the cooling takes place.  If the expansion valve
is not operating properly, little cooling will occur.
My 60 had a clogged valve. (There is a fine mesh
screen in front of the valve that can clog up.)
I cleaned my valve and my 1960's system worked
reasonably well, but still not icy cold.

If the expansion valve is up to snuff, my bet is on
the EPR valve.  I removed it on my 66. (They were
mounted internally in the compressor from 1961 -on.)

Now my system runs so cold, a compressor cut-off
switch was needed that will cycle the compressor on
and off when the evaporator is close to freezing.

You might need to change to a 1961 and later
compressor, if you go the non-EPR vavle route.  The
good news is it should mount without modification,
since it is essentially the same compressor.  However,
you may need to modify the hose ends where they attach
to the compressor.

Chris H.

66 LeBaron

P.S.  A third possibility could be heater core bleed.
You might try disconnecting the heater core and
running the A/C.  If it performs properly, then your
heater control valve isn't closing and is allowing the
heater core to heat the cooled air as it passes to the
passenger compartment.