Marty

From: randalpark@xxxxxxx
Well, it should idle smooth whether the A/C is on or not. Having the A/C on would slow it down a little. It the idle speed is too slow, it will cause the engine to die. It could sputter a little bit before that.

Since you stated that it didn't run very well without the air on, I am going to suggest looking for a vacuum leak. Doing all of the things you have done should have eliminated most ignition related sources for this problem, as long as they were done correctly. Incorrect ignition wire routing, idle mixture setting, timing, point gap, & spark plug gap can all do the same thing, but I will assume that those things were done right. Check all of the vacuum lines, connections, and diaphrams. Also, check the base of the carburator and the intake manifold gaskets for leaks.

By doing the compression test, you pretty much eliminated mechanical problems, other than perhaps a sloppy distributor drive, so ignition and carburation are basically what is left. Symptoms of either mimick each other, making it tricky to diagnose.

That car should be smooth as silk at idle. If it isn't something is wrong.

Paul W.