IML: Rod Run to the End of the World

Gang~

The annual Rod Run to the End of the World, sponsored by the Beach Barons,
is in September. These are mostly hot-rods, but a couple of years ago, there
was an early 60's Saratoga that was here (president of the WPC club in
Seattle).

The lineup:
Thursday, September 7, 5 to 8 p.m. - Art Walk at the Port of Ilwaco. There
is an impromptu car show. Imperials may be parked at the restaurant (The
Imperial Schooner). Fun time for the men with the cars. Fun time for the
women in the galleries and shops. Not officially a Rod Run event, but our
merchant's association sure has fun with it!

Friday, September 8 - The Slow Drag at the Port of Ilwaco. Starts behind the
restaurant and finishes half-way down the port. The last across the finish
line is the winner. A great opportunity to see the 'rods'. My goal is to get
the '65 Crown Coupe tuned up for the Slow Drag so Clint can drive it. We
will be selling our world-famous fish and chips in the parking lot.
(shameless plug)

Saturday and Sunday - Cruisin', lookin' at the cars, etc. The Beach Barons
own a huge field with amenities that the show is held at. There are
activities for kids, too!

But for heaven's sake, don't try to drive the main roads during the evenings
of the Rod Run. I tried last year and ended up driving on the beach....it
was a lot quicker! Here, the beach is designated Highway #1 and patrolled by
the State Patrol. Anyway, people line up along the road (about 15 miles
worth) and wave and drink beer as the cars go by. We live in a time warp
here where it is really 1972 and there is no gas crisis.

If anyone is interested in more particulars, email me off-list at
imperialschooner@xxxxxxxxxxxx  Motels always fill up, but we have some RV
parking at home. Hey! our cars are big enough to camp in!

Laurie Carter
Ilwaco, WA USA
'65 Crown Coupe (his)
'59 Crown (mine)

Join us in Ilwaco - Where Discovery Awaits!
Not quite the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Corner of Pacific Ocean and Columbia River.