Re: IML: Strange tranny conversation

As your car is a 1960 Imperial, the transmission is a cast-iron case
Torqueflite.   The "older guy" is not that old, I guess, as all cast-iron
Torqueflites. (made 1956-61) did not have a park position.  Did he make any
comments about the parking brake on the drievshaft?   Or does he know what
that contraption is.

If the Torqueflire transmission has a park position, then it does not have
the driveshaft, and vice versa.   And if it has a driveshaft brake it has no
park position, which is also vice versa.

The first Torqueflite with z park position was the A904 for the Valiant (but
not the A904 for the Plymouth and Dodge Dart).  In 1962 came the aluminum
case A727 with park position for the Plymouth and Dodge Dart (they also
adopted the Valiant A904 that year),  The A727 for the Dodge 880, Chrysler
and Imperial hung onto the no park position, emergnecy brake on the
driveshaft and Lockheed brakes one last year.  In 1963 they got the A727
with park position and the emergency brake moved to the rear wheels on the
new Bendix-made brakes.

I think you need to find a transmission man that either older or more
knowledgeable about early Mopar automatic transmissions.

Bill
Vancouver, BC