From: Christopher H [mailto: imperial67@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:13:56 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Subject: Re: IML: odd LeBaron/branding question

It's called mining your own heritage for commercial gain. Over the years Chrysler has been good at recycling badges and car names. When the LeBaron debuted, both the name and the former Imperial badge were "available."

Now what possessed them to revive the tarnished "Aspen" name for the new Chrysler version of the Dodge Durango escapes me, but sometimes it's easier to revive an old trademark than come up with and register an original one. Witness the five different uses of the Duster name (including "Trail Duster," which was the Plymouth version of the semirecycled "Ramcharger") over the years and, while I'm at it, the five uses of Charger (including the aformentioned SUV and the 225 Slant Six in the early 1960s), as well as numerous others (Dart, Lancer, St Regis).

That said, compact LeBarons (though we'd consider them midsize or even large cars today) were not Imperials (though they are handsome cars and were very successful). To distinguish the '90 Imperial from the recent LeBarons, they made the eagle more elaborate and added the gold wreath, which to me made it look like a Cadillac logo...

Oh, well.
Chris in LA