Re: IML: That Salon

Actually, the Salon roof is unique to the Salon in several ways.

- The 1974-77 models used a "halo" style roof, which leaves a thin spear of the body paint visible between the upper side window trim and the edge trim of the vinyl roof. Since all 1978 models with vinyl roofs use a non-halo roof (the vinyl extends to the upper side window trim, or drip rails), the Salon is the only 1974-78 Chrysler product with both a formal backlight (reduced-size rear window) and non-halo roof.

- The Salon roof is padded, whereas the other 4-door vinyl roofs were not (only the St Regis/Crown Coupe roof for the 2-door models was padded).

- As noted already, the smoother "Elk Grain" was unique to the Salon.

Bill's listing of package contents is correct, though he left off the wider, and wider-whitewall, tires (unless they were not required in Canada, though they were in the US). The car came with Firestone 721 JR87-15 tires with a 1-5/8" whitewall. Still have one in the garage (not on the car, of course, though my car does still wear modern 721s in a matching spec)!

Chris in LA
78 NYB Salon
67 Crown