Re: IML: 1973 Brakes are "wrong"

Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I replaced the entire brake system on the 1973.
The car now resists stoping. It stops, but requires
almost double the pedal pressure and won't lock the
wheels unless both feet are on the pedal and really
jamming on it, and even then it's not that good a
response.
Also: when the brake is applied, the pedal feels
better in the top 40% of the swing until it seems to
"hit" something and gets stiffer - the braking action
seems to have two stages.
Sounds to me like the booster is at fault.  The booster used on the '73 Imperial is a "tandem" booster, meaning there are two big rubber diaphrams in it.  Your description of the braking action having "two stages" makes me wonder if one of the diaphrams has ruptured -- thus, you're getting about half of the power assist that you should be getting, and you would loose assist as the pedal moves downward.

If the booster is fairly new, it may still be under warranty.  I'm guessing that it's a rebuilt unit, and I've seen lots of faulty rebuilt parts in the past several years.  A friend of mine just replaced a booster for the second time this weekend, since the rebuilt one he got at Advance recently almost immediately started leaking vacuum.

The master cylinder might be at fault here, but all of the problems I've encountered with master cylinders have had soft brakes as the symptom.  Of the two cars I've replaced master cylinders on in the past five years, BOTH have required another master cylinder, since the first one purchased (rebuilt) was defective.  On one car, it took a total of three rebuilt master cylinders before I got one that actually worked.

Best luck!

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

  My Collection of Imperials

1965 Imperial LeBaron
  1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
  1970 Imperial LeBaron