Re: IML: AC on any old Imperial

--- Lupe Rodriguez <lupee@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   I have a 64 Imperial and had a new compressor
> installed. (the old one froze up from lack of oil.)
> Why is it that all the A/C technicians can only get
> it to put out 50 degrees at the vents?
>   Lupe,

That's because they don't know what they are doing -
not their fault necessarily, if they are not familiar
with the workings of the system.

First thing to check is the expansion valve.  If the
compressor self-destructed there could be garbage
lodged in the valve - the first stop in the circuit
out of the compressor.  A fully charged system with a
good compressor will not cool unless the expansion
valve is working properly.

Second, the '64 Imperial uses a blend system.  The A/C
always runs in full chill mode.  If the air is blowing
too cold, moving the temp lever to "warmer" opens the
heater valve to heat the chilled air up to the temp
desired.  Check to be sure the heater valve is fully
closed.  (See shop manual for this test procedure.)

Third, the blend door needs to be set for A/C.  This
door is operated by the vacuum solenoid on the
passenger side of the A/C plenum (under the hood) -
just next to where the two heater hoses go into the
upper firewall.  Test the operation of the valve by
switching the controls from "off" to "HEat" to "A/C".
You should see the arm attached to the vacuum solenoid
moving into different positions.  If not, then your
refrigeration system could be working fine, but the
air flow isn't being fully diverted across the
evaporator.

Good luck with your repair.

Chris H.

66 LeBaron (ice cold with R-134)