RE: IML: Hello, and 1982 Coupe quesitons...

RE: IML: Hello, and 1982 Coupe quesitons...

>>Hey Dick.. Thanks for your response.

You are welcome - always glad to help another of these beautiful cars stay
on the road.

>>>Third: Your low oil pressure warning is a sign that either your engine is
>>>getting a bit tired, or the engine has the wrong oil in it.

>>That's what I was afraid of. I will give it an oil change and use 20W50
and
see what happens. When the day comes I need to do some serious work, what
will I be looking at? Complete bottom-up rebuild or just a few things, like
the bearings and valves?

In my history, once I get an engine apart, I can't stop myself until
everything is done - but this is a personal choice, and may not be yours.

The way to decide is to have an experienced machinist measure the cylinder
wear, check the camshaft lobes, and investigate the timing hardware
thoroughly.

Of course you would replace the rings/bearings, and do a valve job, but if
the engine shows the usual wear for your mileage, I think you are going to
want a total rebuild, including camshaft, lifters, rebore, crank grinding,
etc etc etc. - so you can expect a machine shop bill around $2k - that's if
you do all the R&R yourself, and the engine disassembly, cleaning and
reassembly.  For me, that is the most enjoyable part of bringing an old car
back to like new condition - I enjoy rebuilding engines and transmissions.
By the way, while the engine is out is the time to replace the direct drive
clutch in the torque converter, and of course the transmission seals.  By
then you will have so much invested in your car, you will never sell it -
that is the goal!

As you discovered, these cars are not high interest/high dollar collector
cars like the muscle cars - but for those of us who drive them, there is no
other choice for a great tour car - comfortable, quiet, all the bells and
whistles anyone would want, and decent economy (great economy with the EFI).

>>>Sixth: My guess is that your headlight door problem is in the headlight
>>>switch itself.

>>Is it the same switch used in the ??-81 New Yorkers with headlight doors?

I assume that it is, but read on.......

There is a relay in the system that is a much more likely failure point,
considering your symptoms (I had some time to look this system up in the
manual).

Look on the fuse block - you should see a relay that controls the headlight
doors - if the same one is on the junkyard car, rob it and see if that cures
your problem.  It takes the signal from the headlight switch and tells the
motor which way to run.

The signal from the headlight switch to the relay is the light green #14
wire.  The wire for closing the doors from the relay to the motor is a #14
dark blue wire with a white stripe, and a #14 black wire with a pink stripe
wire for opening the doors.  I forget what your doors won't do, but check
the two wires, you may find the problem right there.

   I suggest you get a set of the manuals (2 volumes) for this car - they
will pay for themselves many times over.  They run on eBay frequently.

Dick Benjamin