Re: IML: Vinyl roof warning. cutting out a piece

I was concerned about electrolysis which is why I posted the question. I will think about fiberglass. Thanks.

----- Original Message -----
From: GeoNort@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Vinyl roof warning. cutting out a piece
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:19:53 EST

You need to be careful about using two different metals together. There is a thing called electrolysis that takes place with dissimilar metals. Aluminum being the softer metal it will be attacked first. If you want to make a cutout to get inside that's fine. Why not use fiberglass to cover the opening when you are complete with your rust proofing. I'm referring to the fiberglass matting, not Bondo / Body filler . Fiberglass is not effected my electrolysis. It is relatively easy to work with & easy to sand if you need to shape it. You could also use the piece of metal  you cut out as a filler & fiberglass it in place.

George

Fred Joslin