Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 9:48 AM
Subject: RE: IML: Vinyl roof warning.

This problem is why I don't like vinyl tops. It isn't that I don't care for
the appearance, (which is true, I admit) but that it can hide rust until the
damage is severe. If you look at the story of my 67 refurb project, which
is posted on the club site, you'll see that the car was originally a vinyl
top car, and even though it was a Southern California car with very low
mileage, it also had some serious rust under the vinyl. The car had sat
under a eucalyptus tree from 1978 to when I rescued it and took it to my
barn in 1992, with the leaves and debris rotting all over the car.

I removed the vinyl from the top and all the glass, then cut out ALL the
rusted metal and welded in new metal (actually, I'm not that good a body
man, I had a friend do it for me), and you can see the result - it is now a
"slick top" car, and I think it looks better that way.

While that is debatable, I guess, I do know for sure that the rust is gone
for good!

Dick