Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 10:42 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Leather seats

clgilleland@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have a question about fixing leather seats in my 74. My car has immaculate seats for their age, but the drivers seat does show slight wear. It shows just a slight cracking, nothing major. The seats are black and the light cracks show because they aren't black. Is there something I can put on the drivers seat to make the cracks black, so they don't show up? Let me know,

I would recommend that you use the leather cleaner (Prestine Clean) and conditioner offered by Leatherique:

http://www.leatherique.com/

I've used it on a couple of Imperials and it works great; others I know have had similar success (see Kerry Pinkerton's excellent story at http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Interior/Leather/index.htm).

The cleaner is excellent, and the conditioner will really soften the leather and give it a whole new look.  From your description, it does not sound like the seats need to be re-dyed, so I would not suggest taking that step.

If after a good cleaning and conditioning the cracks are still noticeable, I think I would use a black permanent Sharpie marker on them -- done carefully, I think the cracks would disappear.

Best luck!

Elijah

Yahoo! Mail