RE: IML: 81 Imperial changeover

Can you test the pressure by screwing the fuel shutoff switch and installing the pressure gauge in its place?  How do you check the voltage to the pump?  I think there is a 2 wire connector on it.

From: "Dick Benjamin" <dickb@xxxxxxxxx>

Well, your pressure is low, but that would not cause the flooding you are experiencing. We can fix the low pressure with a replacement pump (as I recall, you?ve already done the filters, right?)

 But before you spend money to replace the in-tank pump,  If you would stay with us a little bit longer, I?d like to know the pressure at the output of the Control Fuel Pump ? that?s the one that is plumbed over to the nozzles.  Measure it under the same conditions as you measured the 10 PSI.

When the engine is idling, I?d expect to see around 20 PSI there. If your pressure is way too high there, that explains the fuel flowing from all the nozzles and supplying too much fuel.

The cause of that would likely be a failed power module, and the thing to test there is the voltage being supplied to the control fuel pump.   If it is getting 12 volts, or near that, the power module is screwing up badly.

Of course it is your car, and you may well decide to give up on the original EFI system at this point, I won?t try to argue you out of it. To me, this would be a shame because you will get a bad feeling about the system, as many other folks have, and miss the fact that when these cars are right, they are both delightful to drive and very durable and reliable.

I have to point out also, these systems seem to be  very sensitive to the exhaust system ? people have reported lots of problems in going away from the factory system.  None of these events has been carefully documented, so I?m shooting in the dark a bit here, but if it still has the original 3 cats on it, and all the plumbing, I don?t think it is causing your present trouble.  If the exhaust system has been modified, I can?t guess what if any effect this is having on the problem.  Out here in CA, we don?t dare modify anything in the exhaust system, because of our smog rules ? now back to 1974 cars, and probably going to stay there.

Dick Benjamin