RE: IML: southampton/crown 1960

The Crown was a model name, compared to "Custom" (lower level) or "LeBaron"
(higher level).  Equate to Cadillac Series 62, de Ville, and Fleetwood.
The "Southampton" designation merely denoted a hardtop, either 2-door or
4-door.  There were 4-door (pillared) sedans in each of the three model
lines.  In other words, you could have a Crown (i.e. sedan) that wasn't a
Southampton; the same as you could have a Southampton (LeBaron hardtop)
that wasn't a Crown.

Neal Herman
1959 Imperial Crown 4-door Southampton
1966 Imperial Crown 4-door hardtop