RE: IML: 73 Raw gas smell

Jerry,

The # 1406 is a square bore carb and the Thermoquad is a spreadbore.  The primary butterflies on the #1406 are significantly larger and will hit the openings in the manifold.  I haven’t done this swap myself, but you have a few choices.

  1. Use an adapter.  Edelbrock # 2696, or any generic version (TransDapt, Mr. Gasket, etc.).  This will raise your carb, so check hood clearance.
  2. Swap intake manifold for a square bore manifold.  Shouldn’t be too hard to find a used original one, or go with an aluminum dual plane aftermarket one like the Edelbrock Performer # 2191 (will support either style carb).
  3. Hog out the original intake.  It’s possible to remove material around the primary openings so the square bore carb will work.  You may have trouble with carb gasket area if there isn’t much surface left to sandwich it in there.  You’ll need to pull the intake to do it, so I would lean more toward option #2 if it were me.

No matter which option you choose, you’ll need the throttle adapter #1481 to connect the carb to the original throttle cable and kick-down linkage.

If you haven’t already purchased the #1406, you might want to take a look at the Thunder Series #1806.  It’s the 650 CFM AVS version.  The Performer series are an AFB design.  Or if you want something closer to the CFM rating of Thermoquad, look at the 800 CFM #1813.  The AVS has improved tuneability of the secondaries.

Another option would be to have your Thermoquad rebuilt by www.Thermoquads.com.  I’m planning to use them to rebuild one for a non-Imperial project.  They came highly recommended by some of my Barracuda buddies.

Rob McCall

’67 LeBaron