RE: IML: Carbs.

A little more "me too."

For whatever reason, I've had great success with carb rebuilds - it's just time, attention to detail, and a clean workspace.  I've rebuilt Holleys, Rochesters, Carters, all with good luck.

I had a carb shop in Norfolk Virginia rebuild my small Rochester for a 62 Cutlass, and for 125$, they completely screwed it up.  One float set on the bottom of the bowl, the other wouldn't shut off.

I'll never let another person work on my carb.

Try it.

Another note on the Holley, or any other I've ever seen, an old one, especially one that sat unused, will probably have a dry accelerator pump gasket (or diaphragm) that needs replaced.  That may be enough to solve a cold no-start situation.  I don't know about the AVS, it's been along time since I worked on one, but the AFB has sealed holes in the bottom of the bowls, and old ones seem to always lose the gas over a couple of days.  If rebuilding an AFB, and probably an AVS, try sealing that from underneath.  Well, maybe just turn it over.

Michael