From: Christopher H
Date: 11/27/05 13:18:04
To: NYBML; IML (main)
Subject: IML: Puzzling, smoky NYB problem

Hello, NYB and general car experts... Here's one for you.

My '78 NYB Salon (17,500 miles) has begun to exhibit a curious behavior. It
Emits some sort of smoky, slightly greasy stuff from the air conditioner
Vents. After a few minutes you have to remove the film from the windshield
Right above the defroster outlets, which I can do with a simple rag and some

Windex.

It began about a year ago whenever I'd accelerate somewhat hard with the A/C

On. For about a minute afterwards, you could see the smoky air from the dash

Vents, but then it would clear up. Now it occurs fairly consistently,
Anytime the car is running and any setting of the HVAC is turned on. It is
Not a large amount of smoke, and has very little detectable odor, but it's
Definitely there and should not be!

Here's what I think is another clue: I know I need to replace the brake
Master cylinder. If I idle with my foot on the brake pedal for more than
30-60 seconds, the "brake" warning lamp will come on, accompanied by a soft
Pedal. I can pump it up easily and there is no noticeable decline in braking

Performance while driving (meaning rapid use rather than sitting on the
Pedal, which definitely does lead to a loss of braking pressure).

Of course, this is what leads me to believe (well, it's pretty obvious) I
Have a leaking master cylinder, but the smoke leads me to think there is a
Leak in the power booster, too. But is there more to this, or are they
Unrelated? The brake fluid level in the reservoir remains nearly full, by
The way.

So, is there a logical connection between the vacuum used for the brake
Booster and the vacuum used to move the doors in the HVAC system, and if so,

Is this what I'm seeing on my windshield? Is there some other way for the
Two to be related? Or does anyone think I need to replace more than the
Master cylinder and brake booster?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Chris in LA
78 Salon
67 Crown

----------------- http://WWW.imperialclub.Com -----------------
Reply to mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and your response will be
Shared with everyone. Private messages (and attachments) for the