Re: IML: Unleaded gas effects

I can't say too much about all the rest of this, but one thing I know for sure is, when my parents 1968 Imperial LeBaron was brand new, it got 15 - 17 mpg on high speed runs (on cruise, A/C off) frequently. I realize that Dick was running with the A/C on, so maybe that was enough to make the difference.

On an intuitive note, even though the "lack of uniformity" regarding wear on the valve seats would suggest a problem, I have never heard of a case where all 16 valves failed at the same time. In cases of valve recession, I have especially noticed one or two valves in a given engine being much worse that the rest, although damage is generally present for all. It seems that this is due to normal differences, how ever slight, in fuel delivery and other heat issues (such as coolant passages) between the different cylinders.

I believe that most engines have a predictable pattern of wear that varies from cylinder to cylinder. This is usually based on these and other factors, not necessarily relating to a lack of precision that the time of manufacture or reconditioning.

Paul W.

Paul W.