IML: Back on the road (almost) - 1958 Imperial

IML: Back on the road (almost) - 1958 Imperial

Hi gang,

Last Friday I had a very good surprise at the mechanics shop where my 1958 Imperial has finally been brought in ... The car runs again ! The mechanics was impressed by the hemi's condition that runs just perfect : perfect idle, no smoke, no starting problem ... Brakes are done, and the guy is doing the final tunings. And now, the work to remove the rust and give the car a new black paint will start very soon, with a silver roof. Concerning the roof, the car was originally all black, but I will keep the silver roof: indeed, when all black, it gives a "heavy" look to the car. With a silver roof, the eye is catched by the lower body and it emphases the fins and the forward look line. Since my car is a 4-door sedan, the window frames are in aluminum, and with a silver roof, it will be very nice (I guess !). The idea behind is to have something remembering the Silvercrest roof of the 59s (by the way, if one of could send me a high-quality picture of a 1959 with the Silvercrest roof, that would be great, it would give me more arguments for the final decision).

I also had the chance to inspect the car from below (never done before), and the body is surprisingly sound : no hole, no rust. Just the typical rust at the bottom of the doors and at the stone guard area.

As of now, after some findings, I'm only missing the outer side trims of the doors (mine are bad) and one little piece of trim (above the headlight, joining the "eyebrow", below the crown, on the front fender). And also, I wondering if I should change the front bumper or not, and eventually the stone guards.

What I can say is that patience is absolutely mandatory in such a restoration process, mostly when you are outside US/Canada ... (dealing with overseas parcel carriers and French customs is not easy).

Imperialement vôtre,

Frédéric
http://mardon.ifrance.com