Re: IML: Gearshift quadrants, side marker lights, etc.

Re: IML: Gearshift quadrants, side marker lights, etc.

I agree that the AMA did not have the power to force any firm to adopt any
equipment, which I why I stated, " It was the AMA that pushed for .. . "

Safety had been pushed by auto manufacturer long before Ford's infamous year
of safety in 1956.  Chrysler was bragging about the safety of its instrument
panels with no protrusions in 1937.  All switches and levers were flush with
the surface (unlike their 1940's instrument panels).  For 1939 Chrysler
introduced their Safety Speedometer, that glowed green, yellow or red
depending on speed.  It was copied by GM twenty years later.  In 1949
Chrysler introduced the padded instrument panel and safety window
regulators - the ends folded flush with the handle.   Nash had seat belts in
1950.  Kaiser had a padded instrument panel and a pop-out windshield in
1951.

And Lee Iacocca proved that you could sell Fords in 1956 - he made himself
noticed in Dearborn with his sales records in Pennsylvania.  Although Ford
and other claim it was safety that sunk Ford, compare the Chevrolet and Ford
in 1955 and 1956.  Can you tell a 1955 Ford from a 1956 from the front, side
and back?  How about a Chevrolet?  Chevrolet sold cars in 1956 because
buyers knew their neighbours would know they had a new car no matter which
way they parked in the driveway.  The major difference between a 1955 and
1956 Ford was the parking light shape.  A 1956 Chevrolet did not look like
last year's car.  IMHO, that was why Ford stumbled in 1956 and sold like
crazy in 1957 when Ford had a brand new body while Chevrolet did not.

After 1956, Rambler and Cadillac introduced dual braking systems in 1962,
followed in 1963 by Studebaker, who also made seat belts and padded
instrument panel standard.   All American manufacturers had padded
instrument panels, seat belts, outside driver's mirror and backup lights as
standard in 1966 and all had dual braking systems for 1967.

Granted not all manufacturers offered all the equipment I quoted as
standard, but the majority did.  It was usually the lower priced models that
skimped on them.  In the late 1980's the lowest-priced Diplomat and Gran
Fury had the day-night interior mirror listed as optional equipment.

Bill
Vancouver, BC