IML: The Smell of a Haze Green Imperial

I noticed while riding in Leslie’s Haze Green era ’67 Imperial, which just happens to be Haze Green; that it smelled mostly what I think of as an Imperial.  The green color just adds to the Haze Green “Aura” of the car.  Much like people who hate their given name, they can legally change their name when they grow up, but they will always be the known as the name they were given by family, especially after soooooo many years.  It just sticks, no matter what.  I think this holds true even more so when the name was given by the one very person who helped give birth to this site, maintain this site, and have poured sweat, love, tears, and god knows how many hours into making it one of the best damn websites of the web, car related or not.  For my two cents, Leslie deserves her tongue in cheek nickname, she earned it, and I for one will not stray from it.  If you want to make a change in the world go out and change it…from scratch, with your personal time, energy, money and resources, but that certainly won’t happen because someone else did it for you (all of us), and now the few who voted to strip one of our founders of a beloved, jovial, and very personal stamp on the site she was an integral, indispensable creator of.  Call it what you will.  The rest of us “cool kids” will still refer to it as what it is.  Haze Green.  Make no bones about it.  Leslie owns a Haze Green ’67 Imperial named Titanic.  Haze Green does not defer from its beauty, comfort, ride, handling, power, or prestige.  It does make people smile, and in the end that’s all that really matters.

I have now had my input, and am quite at peace with it all, after all I don’t even want to own a Newport, or is it Chrysler Imperial?  Yes, I think the last car of complete distinction was the ’66 body on frame Imperial.  I know others disagree, but that was how I was brought up in the ways of Imperials.  Much like prejudice is not genetic, it is learned, or taught, and as we have seen in New Orleans 40 years after the civil rights movement, children are still taught, only quietly, like family incest, about race in this country.  I dare say at least a few of those in New Orleans drove Imperials at some point, which just proves to me that they are everybody’s equals, if only on this list by example.  Of course if Katrina had hit, oh I don’t know, Beverly Hills, Kennebunkport, etc… the populace of those townships would have been rescued in less than 36 hours…max!

When I ride in an Imperial of any year, I am always pleased as punch to be in such a fine car.  I forget that that the ’81-’83 Imperials were built on an Aspen/Volare platform.  I forget that the ’90-‘93’s are a stretched K-Car, and I forget the ’67-68’s were using a Newport sub-frame, modified or not, for Imperial, because they have been overhauled to be Imperials and given all the comfort, power, toys, etc…that make them special.  The ’67-’68 Haze Green Imperials are the same in that context.  I could care less what they are called by the list officially, but in MY circle of friends, they will always be Haze Green.  As life seem to be in general sometimes you just have to give the squeaky wheel some grease, of the wailing baby their bottle so you can have peace in the household.  That does not mean in any way that you don’t just love to pieces the squeaky wheel, or baby, but for family harmony, you appease them just so they will be quiet.

Next year at Rhody Days I hope to drive Leslie’s Haze Green ’67 Imperial, Titanic and she can drive my ’66 Imperial ‘vert.  There just was not time this past year.  Now that I have the correct triple band white walls on Doris, she really looks swell.  Radials are not as tall as bias ply, but man is she smooth.  I had the front end aligned before I put more than 2 miles on the car, and bought the lifetime alignment policy from Firestone, which will prove to be a huge money loser for Firestone as I will not be turning over this car as they plan on every 3 years. The policy is good at ANY Firestone in the USA.  I can go through 12 sets of tires in the next 20 years and I will never pay for an alignment again.  Pretty cool!  Just goes to show “A smart shopper is an alert shopper!”  When I took Doris in on Saturday morning, the shop manager wrote up my ticket, but did not mention the lifetime warranty option. When I picked up the car later, the “new” guy asked me if I wanted to upgrade to the lifetime warranty.  When all my questions were answered, and supplied in writing, I said yes, just as the manager came in.  His jaw almost dropped, and pulled the kid aside, but I defiantly heard him say through clenched teeth that that would not be good for Firestone since I have had my car several years, and they had serviced all my other Imperials, so knew I was not going to turn Doris over anytime soon, and to NOT offer the warranty to classic car owners for that reason, unless they know of it, and ask about it.  Too late, it was rung up.  Poor kid, being taught bad, even unethical salesmanship by a bitter old man, but that is how it seems to work in this country, and world I suppose.  That is why I am so happy to go to work each day and work to change the world by supporting grassroots organizations that are building a movement for low income families across this nation with an ungodly huge endowment bigger than, well, really, really big to support us.  We will be pouring 10’s of millions into New Orleans community organizations as the city starts to rebuild.  Such an overwhelming endeavor, but on a lighter note, maybe we will find an Imperial or two that need our attention as a group.

Happy motoring people!

Wm. R. Ulman

Seattle, WA

'66 Crown Convertible Coupe - Doris Day