Re: IML: 68 is home!!

where did it come from?

"Michael O. Mann" <mann340s@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All,

While I was at school today, FEDEX delivered my package. 68 four door
Crown. The car really is beige as advertised. I'll be checking the paint
codes I assume are somewhere on the website, but the code is XX1. Under the
hood, in the trunk, etc. are the same color, so I believe it is correct. It
is better than feared, better than expected, nearly as good as I dared hope.
For the money spent, I think I did well. Not a perfect car, but a great
starting point. I think it is 100% complete. That is exciting.

Interior is cloth and leather, and just about perfect. Under the hood looks
as if the hood had never been raised. Dirty, ugly, but close to perfect.
Motor has been neither cleaned nor painted. The pie tin is readable.
Nothing has been butchered. Antenna works, three windows work, sort of.
Radio is AM/FM, but not the stereo. Wheel does not telescope. Does it
tilt? I did not see any extra lever to allow tilt. Wheel, dashpad, etc.
are uncracked. Trunk is as if it had not been opened. Spare tire is a
three stripe bias ply - looks like an original. Three of the tires are bias
ply.

Bad things: all anticipated - there is minimal rust in the sheetmetal, just
barely apparent; the driver side rear quarter, very near the rear, has been
dented to some degree, and repaired... to some degree. Other than patience,
I think all I'll need are time, money, and a rear bumper. One piece of
chrome on the trunk is very slightly dinged as well, but I happen to have
that piece, that I saved from a car in a yard in San Francisco - nearly 10
years ago!

So, the short list of questions for now: does that steering wheel really
tilt? how? What is that paint code (XX1)? Do all the 68's have a very
limited travel on the "vanity" lid? This one opens only to approximately
horizontal, and that was the same in the green 68 I had earlier.

More to follow.

Michael
68 Crown four door!

Oh, aside from not being called in advance, as stated, I received the car
very quickly, with no new dings, and was pleased with the process. At $3.00
per gallon, it was cheaper than driving up and driving two back.