Re: IML: 413 rod knock etc

I've been told that in the days of the low compression (mostly flat head) engines, dropping the pan, loosening the crank, removing damaged rod bearings and slipping in replacement bearings was somewhat successful and would allow the engine to be used for a time without a complete teardown and rebuilding of the bottom end. I'm sure people have done this successfully with Model A engines, flat head Mopars, early Ford V-8s, some of the splash lubrication overhead valve Chevrolet engines, etc. I would imagine the rest of the engine would be pretty well worn (or damaged if the oil level had dropped dangerously low, leading to the rod knock.) So I don't believe people planned to drive the vehicle another 50,000-70,000 miles after doing a "driveway bearing replacement job."

I know people who have tried this technique with later model engines and all repairs failed within a few miles of reassembly. The higher compression, higher RPM, higher output engines, operating at higher temperatures do not appear to tolerate a "band aid" solution such as this. If some have, I would wager they are exceptions to the rule.:-)

How could this happen on recently rebuilt 413? Perhaps one of the connecting rod bolts was damaged (if used) or defective (if new.) I had a 230 Plymouth engine spin a rod bearing shortly after having it rebuilt. A nut from a connecting rod bolt was found in the oil pan. Apparently, the person who assembled the bottom end didn't torque that one bolt to specs.

K.