RE: IML: Misfiring/backfiring...

These are very good suggestions.

I will add that since you are working with a good mechanic, he will have a much better chance of correctly diagnosing your problem than we will. He is there and can check, hear, and see everything. All we can do is guess.

The intake manifold leak could have been the result of some other problem that caused the engine to "start bogging" as you put it, on the way to the mechanic's. This could be a weak fuel pump, failing carb, or ignition problem. Once the engine starts backfiring, it can blow gaskets and split vacuum hoses like crazy.

Hopeing for the best, since it ran fine to begin with, and all of this other work was done since the problem developed, I'd suggest that you may have put something back together incorrectly. If there was another problem, I think that your mechanic would have diagnosed it when he found the intake manifold problem.

Other things that can cause these symptoms might be incorrect timing, a massive vacuum leak, too lean of fuel mixture(carbuerator problem), ignition (recheck the spark plug wires as suggested by Robin). There are various mechanical failures that could also cause this, but since your engine is fresh, and you haven't given us reason to believe any damage occured I'll leave those unsaid.

Paul W.