Re: IML: HOW MANY 1960 2DR'S LEFT

Over the years, I have noticed a similar number of Two Door Southamptons surviving as Crown Convertibles in late '50s and early '60s Imperials. For 1960 specifically, that has also seemed to be true. There may have been "far fewer convertibles built", but let's face it, there weren't very many of any of them. Of the collectibles, I also suspect that fewer Imperials were saved, be they hardtop or convertible, than any other marque.

I have been noticing 1960's since they were new. There were never many more on the road where we lived in Southern California, that I saw then, as I see for sale now nationally. And I was really looking! I haven't checked production figures lately, but I would be surprised if Custom and Crown Two Door Southampton production combined totalled more than 3,000 cars. Most 1960's were Custom and Crown Sedans and Southampton Four Doors, with more of the later than the former. I seem to remember reading that the Crown Four Door Southampton was the most popular model.

In my whole life I can count the total number of 1960 Imperial convertibles and Two Door Southamptons that I saw driving or parked on the road combined, on both hands, with a finger or two left over. Crown Coupes became a going concern in 1964, but then again, that was a banner year for all Imperials. Still, I don't think that it was until then that the market was totally there for them. Suddenly, they were in the company of the newly coined "personal luxury cars".

Don't forget, when our cars were nothing more than worn out, used transportation, the United States of America experienced the first major energy crisis. When that happened, Imperials that need a new set of tires were scrapped because they had NO value. Some of the late '60s cars survived because some people were still making payments on them as second, less wealthy owners. Early '60s stuff was discarded with hardly a thought.

Paul W.