Re: IML: 1960 PARTS on EBAY - what a value?

Re: IML: 1960 PARTS on EBAY - what a value?

When I had Souther bumper look at my '60 grill they did say that they would have to finish out every surface.  I believe that is polishing of the copper coat.  They also said it would be difficult to get the chrome all the way back into the crates.  I think it was actually about $800 that I was qouted for the 3 pieces.  I knew even then I would not be happy with the results.  I am sure all the sharp edges and facets would have been lost in the polishing process.  When I did find a good grill center, cracked though it is, it took me five hours of cleaning and polishing to get it fully bright.  I can only imagine the labor neccessary to plate it and repair any pitting.  I am still looking for a good RH side with no pitting.  Of course the one on ebay is the left side as always happens.

Richard Burgess

Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Maybe I've been lucky, but the cars that I've seen
have not had serious problems with their grilles,
meaning that you could take the grille off and have it
stripped and rechromed without having structural or
pitting issues, which is half the battle.

If a whole bumper costs $500 for triple plate, why
would these cost $1000 to redo? I have not looked
into it, so that's why I ask.

Since there isn't more material involved, shall I
presume that they have to do detail finishing and
polishing inside of all of those grille bars?

My reaction is that $800 is a monster price. Help me
out here - why so expensive to redo an old one?

-Kenyon

Kenyon Wills