Re: IML: 1954 Crown Imperial Limousine-WPC meet 2005

Re: IML: 1954 Crown Imperial Limousine-WPC meet 2005

In a message dated 7/24/2005 12:11:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, jsadowski@xxxxxxx writes:

with unique features such as the
Ausco-Lambert disk brakes, they should be preserved not "Restified". This is
almost as bad as taking a Ghia Limo and chopping the roof. I just hope that
your friend put the original pieces away somewhere so it can be changed
back.

Aaron,
I have been round the block a few times trying to keep 67-69 Imperials stopping with their Budd disc brake system and have found it quite challenging.  I would tend to think that I would definately not want to go into the local parts store to request parts for my Ausco-Lambert disc brakes.  I too lean in the "purist" direction, but do believe there are times when having a car that is drivable and enjoyable beats having a pure garage ornament.  I also saw the car on the street at the meet in Burbank and thought it was a gorgeous car.  It looked perfectly stock unless you looked inside to see the 65 steering column; an item that only a real car person might catch as being incorrect for the car.  I am sure that many who saw the car stopped to enjoy its beauty and uniqueness, many others enjoy it as it passes by in traffic and turns heads anywhere it goes - looking just like a 54 Imperial limousine should with windows up and cold air blowing.  I believe this car has had a better fate than many that would be locked away for fear of driving a  vehicle that might not stop on demand.

John Muller - Atlanta
54 Custom Imperial
69 LeBaron