IML: Silicone polishes

I quote Brad Hogg's message:
From: Brad Hogg
Subject: Re: IML: Paint/Wax 57 Imperial
According to my painter, silicone is the LAST thing you want touching your
car's paint.  He cautions the use of all products like Armor All etc that
comtain silicones.  I am referring to Armor All protectant here, not the car
wash cleaner etc.

This is taken from Amway's Quixtar web site.

MINT CONDITION® Silicone Glaze®  Auto Polish
This custom blend of four silicones, a special wax, and mild polishing
agents will restore a durable, like-new shine to the dulled finishes of
older cars -- a shine that will stay bright through repeated washings.

I am familiar with this product having been an Amway distributor in a former
life.  I would not touch this stuff with a ten foot pole. ***

Well, maybe not for a collector or vintage paintjob, but I have (in the past) used silicone polishes with great success. This especially on paint that really gets the guff - like on aircraft. Good and well-applied silicone polish makes those awful cooked-on bug splats wipe off effortlessly, and the slick surface actually adds a couple knots to the airspeed - less parasitic drag resistance. The stuff is great on trucks too - anything that gets really dirty and needs to be cleaned up easily with less effort. Guess there's something out there for everyone.

I WOULD be very interested to know if your car painter's aversion was due to the fact that stray silicone is DEATH in a paint shop, or for some other reason?

(BTW, I used a good carnauba-bearing wax on Lucille, Blue something or other - hubby had it on the shelf)

Kate Justet Triplett
Kate's Custom Gunleather
Monroe, Washington
Proud mother of a soldier