Re: IML: Amber Lenses

Contrary to popular belief, the American federal government did not mandate
amber lights, seat belts, gear quadrants or anything else prior to 1966 as
they did not have the power to do so.  It was not until 1966 that the
American federal government gained such powers with the enactment of the
National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.    It was at that point the
federal Department of Transportation was established.

Prior to that the states had power over vehicle regulations.   In 1957 some
car makers, such as Imperial, introduced the four headlamp system, but could
not sell it in all states as some had not yet approved it.  Same with sealed
beam headlamps on the 1940 models.   Manufacturers had to wait until all 48
states (and all 9 provinces in Canada) approved them before they could be
used.  And their approval did not outlaw the old bulb and reflector system
in all areas, which permitted Graham and Hupmobile, for example, continue to
build cars without sealed beam headlamps.

In the case of the amber bulbs / lenses for the 1963 model year, that was
the result of a recommendation of the board of directors of the Automobile
Manufacturers Association.  The AMA had conducted tests and concluded that
amber signals could be seen more easily against glaring reflections that
white signals. Pior to the establishment of the Department of
Transportation, the AMA played a large role in establishing safety and
equipment guidelines for the American auto industry, including sealed beam
headlamps, the quad headlamp system, safety belts and front amber turn
signals.

By the way, although Valiant, Dart, Dodge 880 and Imperial all had amber
lenses in 1963, while Plymouth only came in clear, Dodge (B body) and
Chrysler had both listed for that year.

Bill
Vancouver, BC