Re: IML: '60 steering column adjustment.

Re: IML: '60 steering column adjustment.

Kenyon,

It seems to be a fore and aft problem.  It is the whole upper assembly, shaft and surrounding column that are sitting too far out of the dash.  The original marks from the column support bracket, under the dash, are about 1 and 1/4" farther aft on the column now. (towards the driver).  The column looks to be all the way down on the steering box at the lower bracket so that just leaves adjustment at the frame?  The column does line up for attachment to the dash, it is all just too far out towards the driver.  The flange of the steering wheel does not sit back in the casting as it should.

Richard

Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey Richard, I read your description, and maybe it was
just me being a dummy, but I'm not drawing a clear
mental picture.

Either the larger diameter housing that the steering
shaft rides in is not lining up for attachment
fore/aft in relation to the cast dashboard that it
clamps to,

OR

The steering shaft that the wheel bolts to is mis
located in the larger diameter housing that it rides
in and the wheel is sticking out too far (too far away
from dash).

Please clarify whether you are talking about lateral
shift (along framerails), or diagonal, with the column
too close to the dome light.

If it is too close to the dome light, this is an easy
fix. Go into the engine compartment and loosen the
clamps that hold the column to the steering box.
Loosen the 2 bolts under the steering column between
the instrument clusters. Check if there's something
to loosen at the firewall (hoseclamp on rubber?) but I
don't think there is.

Column will now move in a straight line between the
dome light and the steering box. The shaft inside
floats and no further dis-assembly is required.
Suggest that the front end be lifted and free-play be
checked before tightening all back down.

----
I took mine out. This was years ago, but here's what
I remember: The steering box is adjustable with
knurled wedge-shaped shims. I never figured out what
they did that (as opposed to straight bolts into the
frame) and didn't mark it on the way out (I'm a
dummy), but besides having to do a re-alignment(moved
the pittman arm), didn't see any change when I
reassembled to the best of my eyeball ability.

I also took apart the steering column. That was a
horrible experience. Despite laying things out on a
clean white rag in the order of appearance, I lost my
self-canceling turn-signal cam connection and the
wheel was always 1/2 inch too far out of the column
and was vertically sloppy.

Since it has a slide connection at the box, it didn't
matter, but it was a little loose and just not really
right, although serviceable and safe (I think).

The column is attached at two points: at the steering
box and under the dash between the instrument
clusters. It is ensconced in a rubber diaphram of
sorts where it passes through the firewall that allows
the column to float around for adjustment, so is not
part of the equation.

I suggest that you inspect where the column goes into
the steering box if it is a location issue. Also
check whether the steering box appears to have been
substantially moved (they didn't repaint/clean the
frame? Maybe the old mark/impression is still
there?).

---

If the column/shaft are not correct, taking them apart
and reassembling are really fun events. Have alcohol
readily available if you decide to take that one on.

Did I miss anything?

-Kenyon