Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 10:25 AM
Subject: IML: '60 AC hose early '60 late '59?

Hi Folks,
Thought I would ask.............Sent my original fabric braided AC hose out for rebuild (from the compressor muffler to the hard line on drivers side inner fender). These hoses typically have a simple metal fitting on each end of the hose. What was returned to me was a hose with a fitting on one end and about four inches of angled pipe and then the fitting on the other. Has anyone ever seen an original braided fabric AC hose like this, with metal tubing integrated / attached???? I am just positive this is not what I sent in and the shop and I are in dissagreement. I have seen some replacements on other members' cars that resemble this, but not originals. I am a bit baffled as I think I would remember sending them something that didn't match the typical hose as on my other '60.

My compressor muffler is a bit strange in that it has a curved metal pipe underneath instead of the machined metal block. The muffler also aims straight down instead of angling back to clear the power steering filler cap. I think it must be an earlier design before they changed the muffler angle to clear the cap better. Maybe I sent in an early style hose and have alzheimers, I don't think so. While the end fittings fit, I think they either swapped in a replacement or sent me the wrong hose or mislocated my original. Before shipping, I think I surely would have noticed had the hose had the metal extension. Thoughts?

Richard

'60 LeBaron
'60 Crown