Re: IML: Tires / shocks

>From: RandalPark@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: IML: Tires
>
>I have driven my '60s Imperial's with radial
>tires ever since the early 1980's. I have NEVER
>experienced a "harsh" ride in any of the cars.
>I drove the same cars from the late 1960's and
>through all of the 1970's with bias ply tires. The
>only thing that changed by going to radials was
>that the cars drove BETTER. Bumps in the road
>were not felt as much with bias ply tires, but only
>when they were inflated around 25 pounds. I
>always ran my tires around 32 pounds, which is
>higher than recommended. Maybe that is why I
>felt bumps with bias ply tires about the same as
>with radials.

   I agree wholeheartedly - I've never driven a car that rode better on bias
than radial tires. I also agree that this notion is an artifact of
underinflation of bias tires.
   I don't know what it says in the '60 manual, but my '69 says (and I
believe my '62 said something similar) that with a load and sustained speeds
above 75 mph, 28 psi is reccomended, and 32 psi while towing. Eight-ply,
load range D tires are suggested for greater max pressure margin in these
circumstances. If sustained speeds over 90mph are contemplated, special
high-speed tires *inflated to maximum vehicle capacity pressures* are
required. Now, I haven't operated my current Imperial at sustained speeds
over 90mph (it isn't ready for that yet) but I can't quite imagine someone
owning an Imperial and not driving over 75 - that's when they really start
to come alive.

  IMO, running an Imperial on bias tires at 22psi isn't really safe for
general operation, only for low-speed city driving.
  I expect bias tires don't wear out quite so instantly when they aren't all
squishy, too.

  Low-profile radials would probably be stiffer, and transmit bumps more
than bias tires.

  Some folks _hate_ radials, though.

>If you plan to drive your car, radials are great.
>The car will handle better, the tires will last
>longer, and you will get slightly better gas
>mileage. If you plan to show it, then you will
>be marked down for having the incorrect style
>of tires.
>
>Bias ply tires severely compromise the agility
>of any car wearing them.

  Plus, they often squeal horribly even in low-speed cornering.

  I'm also a big fan of KYB shocks for Imperials, but some folks really hate
them too - YMMV.

     -Kle
     '69 Crown 4DHT