RE: IML: temp gauge shows overheating

If the temperature gauge suddenly registers hot, I stop the car. The next thing I do is determine if it really is hot. This is not that hard to do. We see/hear hot water on the stove just about everyday.

If it really is hot, the cause of the overheating is usually obvious (broken hose, belt, water pump), but if it isn't, the thermostat could have failed and closed. It is possible to buy a "fail-safe" thermostat that opens when it fails instead of closing and causing the car to boil over. Whenever I replace one I buy this type.

If it really isn't hot, I check everything anyway, resume my trip, and pay VERY close attention to what is going on under the hood. If nothing happens I replace the sender.

On '65 and '66 Imperials (and many others after that) if the car really is hot, the Sentry Signal will also light up. The Sentry Signal has separate sending units for oil pressure and temperature.

Paul W.