Re: IML: Converting AutoTemp to Manual Controls - Au Contraire

--- David Duricy <desotobravo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If there is coolant in your servo, your servo is the
> problem.

I agree strongly.

> Write to Murray Park or any of the other parts yard
> vendors on the IML website. See if you can get a
> vintage servo that's still good for not much money.
> Put it on the car and see what happens. You may be
> surprised.

I (politely) disagree strongly.

I went that route and boy was I surprised.  I
contacted a vendor familiar to readers of this list.
They said that they had a good servo and that for a
mere $100 and shipping, it could be mine.  It seems
that I was not the first inquiry, but my headlight
door motor was also recently $100, so maybe that's a
handy figure in the used-parts-the-size-of-a-cantelope
business.

No hard feelings about the prices - when you need it,
you need it.

Anyway....

The unit arrived and I greedily snatched it out of its
shipping box and promptly installed it, sensing that I
was about to finally experience Auto Temp II in all
its glory for the first time.

As soon as the engine started and the water pump
pressurized the hoses leading to it, a gyser of water
erupted (to my horror) out of the already (obviously)
cracked base, almost the same as the existing one that
I was replacing.  Had I bothered to look at it in my
rush to install, I might have saved a few calories and
expectations.

I called the vendor and let him know that I had
received a bad unit.  I was informed that it
absolutely, positively came off of a running car and
that it couldn't possibly be bad and that no exchanges
were possible.

Not the response that I was looking for.

I even offered to send a photo of me holding TWO bad
units, but no dice.  I sort-of understand his point,
but it's not like I'm running a scam sending my crappo
one in to get a second good one - life's too short for
that.  We all do what we do for a reason though.

If you go this route, ask what the return policy is up
front - may save some time on the back end.

Dave D and I differ on this one.  He's real strong on
diagnosis and repair and is generous with good advice
and positive energy.

I'm on your other shoulder and on this one single
thing will encourage you to cannibalize a different
make/model and install it on your car.  Those servos
are all bad resin unless you go with the aftermarket
aluminum-bodied $300 unit if you ask me.  It gets
neither too hot nor too cold here to be worth it to me
personally, despite my interest in having automatic
climate controls, I just use the heat of the
transmission hump and the window switches and seem to
do fine everywhere but coming out of the late show at
the cinema at midnight.

I'd look at the indentical-shaped manual control panel
out of a standard chrysler of the same year.  Not only
the dash item but the firewall heater valve and the
connecting rod.  Getting up in there will not be easy,
but the final result should be more predictable.

Regardless, good luck.  I have the at least one and
will be happy to send you mine as servo parts - the
bases are goners.

-Kenyon