Re: IML: 413 block leak

Hi, Scott --

If two mechanics looked at it and neither said it was the freeze plugs or a
gasket, it's probably block replacement time.  This is not necessarily a
bad thing.  If you're going to tow with an engine that didn't tow before,
you need a high confidence factor.  And if it turns out to be the plugs or
a gasket, it's mechanic replacement time.

-- David

                      "Scott Scheuermann"
                      <s.l.scheuermann@worldne        To:       <mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      t.att.net>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                        Subject:  IML: 413 block leak
                      mailing-list-owner@imper
                      ialclub.com

                      03/10/2005 02:15 PM
                      Please respond to
                      mailing-list

A newby here, to the list and classic cars. I have a problem that I have
never heard of before and I'm looking for some input. The car is a 65 Crown
4 door with a 413. It leaks coolant from the block. Coolant and oil are not
mixing. One mechanic looked at it briefly and said that the block was
cracked. Another took a lot more time and said that it is actually seeping
through the block. He tried a couple of different sealants that were
"guaranteed" to work...and of course did not! He believes that the engine
was previously rebuilt and it runs great. So where to go from here without
breaking the bank? 413's are not to be found locally. I understand that a
440 may be a suitable engine, but not original. I hate to start changing
things on a car that appears to be original with the sole exception of the
paint. It is tempting to do nothing, but my hope for the car is to tow my
'60 Airstream travel trailer (#5000) and I don't want the engine blowing on
me! I am not going for a show quality car here...a "20 footer" would be
good enough for me as long as the mechanicals can handle the extra rigors
of towing.