Re: IML: Imperial history questions

--- CHRISTINE & CHRISTOPHER <cchmaness@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> 1. What was the first year for power windows?

I believe that 1948 was the first year.  Keep in mind
that these power windows were actually hydraulically
operated, rather than powered by electric motors.
Electric window lifts were used in the 1951 Imperial.
Kerry Pinkerton gives a good description (along with
pictures) of the hydraulic windows in his 1950 Crown
Imperial at
http://www.dte.net/57imperial/50saga/50Part2.htm

> 2. During what years was the Imperial seperate from
> Chrysler ?

1955-1975

> 3. Why did Chrysler decide to later combine the
> names Chrysler and Imperial.

>From its introduction in 1926, Imperial was used to
denote the "top of the line" Chrysler models.  Even
though it was pulled out as a separate marque
beginning with the 1955 model year, John Q. Public
already had 29 years of "Chrysler Imperial" firmly
stamped upon his mind, so the concept of Imperial as a
stand-alone marque never caught on very well.
Chrysler further muddied the waters in its advertising
beginning in 1971, when Imperial was included in the
regular Chrysler brochure, and badged "Imperial, by
Chrysler."  Sales were never stellar, and by 1975
Chrysler finally pulled the plug.  Imperial styling
(but not quite the same level of quality) reappeared
the next year in the Chrysler New Yorker Brougham.

> 4.  Why do we like Imperials when the world is full
> of other collector cars that are more recognizable.
> Actually I know the answer to number 4.  Its because
> we know quality and style when we see it !!

Of course!

Elijah

http://www.imperialclub.com/~imperial71/
http://www.imperialclub.com/~imperial71/bookshelf.htm