RE: IML: Some more questions

What you broke is called the “Check Valve”, its purpose is to prevent vacuum leaking back into the intake manifold from the vacuum reservoir when the engine stalls, so that you still have brakes when the car stalls (at least for a couple of stops).

 The thingy under the fender is that reservoir tank – it is just like a steel bladder, it simply provides a chamber with less than atmospheric pressure so that should the engine stall, there will still be vacuum to operate your brakes.

The reason your pedal got firm when you disconnected the vacuum hose is that you removed the source of power to the power brake booster, thus you didn’t have power brakes anymore.  If you had been driving and this happened, you’d find you’d have to stand on the pedal with all your might to stop the car.

The reason the engine speeds up when you disconnect the hose is that you are introducing excess air into the mixture, leaning it out so the combustion process gets much hotter (to where it can burn the valves in the engine if you keep driving it that way) and it also revs up the engine from the lean mixture.

The hose you need to replace is a power brake booster hose – it comes in bulk from any auto parts place.  Bring in the old hose for a size comparison, and make very sure the guy behind the counter knows it’s for the power brake system, because it must be special hose that will not collapse under vacuum.  Most hose is designed to operate under pressure, not vacuum.

NAPA probably has a check valve which will fit your car (you don’t say what year car you have, so I’m only guessing here).  But you may have trouble finding one with a built in “T”, you may have to buy a separate “T” to make all your connections (intake manifold, reservoir, and booster).

I hope this is clear enough, if not feel free to ask again.

Dick Benjamin