IML: heater core

Hi All 68 and 67 Imperial owners and list.
I have a question on the heater core.
Last year my heater core started to leak I thought that I had a fire in the dash vent but when I turned on the heat I got the sweet smell and fogged up window.
Now for my question how hard is it to get to the heater core.
And is there a good stop leak that I could put in and stop the leak  instead of pulling the dash if that is what I have to.
I did not get water on the floor so I do not think the leak is a big one.
I also want to put valves in the heater hose in case I get a leak out on the road so I can stop the flow of water if I can find a small enough valve so not to be seen.
Thank you for any help on this.
Bob Hanekamp