IML: The trip home

It's a  fairly short trip from Ilwaco, Wa to Seaside, Oregon, about an hour each way, I suppose. It seemed like it took too long to get there to pick up the car, and not long enough to get back home driving it.
We pulled into the driveway where the Imperial sat, in all it's Imperialness (is that a real word?) inside the seller's shop, it's unmistakable rear end almost sticking out the shop door.
We talked with the seller for a bit, a sort of gruff sounding fellow, but his eyes sparkled like the chrome on an Imperial's bumper. He said he has owned several Imp's before and was thinking of re-buying a '67 Crown he had sold a few years ago. Along the rafters of his shop were hundreds of hubcaps, all arranged by car model, and he could tell you what years of cars they were off of at a glance. Contact us off list if you need any, and I'll give you his name, etc.
After he showed us everything that worked, didn't work, etc, we exchanged money for title, shook hands and headed for home. I got in, fired her up and adjusted the power seat, backed the Imperial out of the shop and turned onto Hwy 101, back towards Seaside. I could feel the power of the 413 right away, and as we headed back the winding road, the steering was quite responsive, not wandering like I thought it might be, and the ride was superior.
We came through Warrenton, and up ahead there were some pretty blue and red lights on the bridge. Oops, the Imperial had not been licensed for several years, and we forgot (uh huh) to get a trip permit.The Trooper was still visiting with the driver of the car he had pulled over as we went by, and although we got a few stares on the trip, luckily the Troop wasn't one of them. The Astoria Megler bridge is high enough for big cargo ships and oil tankers to go under, and the car pulled the bridge just like it was flat road. Across the 4 mile long bridge and we were back in Washington. There is a flat stretch of road before Ilwaco, so I decided to give her a little nudge and see what happened. A slight miss about 85 was all I felt. No shake, no shimmy. I pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant and parked right in front of the "Imperial Schooner Restaurant" sign. People have been oohing and aahing the car ever since.  Thanks to Don for pointing the car out to the list, and everyone for their questions and comments.

Clint and Laurie Carter
'59 Crown
'65 Crown Coupe