Re: IML: Respect for "foreigners"

It seems that in other countries, car owner's treasure their machines. I once knew a lady from England who drove a 40 year old car, and she intended on driving it until she passed on. She knew everything about the car. Maintaining it was part of her life. She did much of her own maintenance including body work and paint. She did most of the mechanical stuff too. The car had wooden floor boards. She shared with me about how she replaced them herself when they became infested with European Wood Borers. She cut them out of the same kind of hard wood that was originally in the car. She was especially proud of her care for the leather upholstery. She often said that "it will last forever, you know, with just a small amount of care".

In the USA, we tend to think of cars as a throw away item. I guess it is a good thing since the economy depends on us replacing our cars often. I think that Imperial collectors are much more like that lady.

Paul