RE: IML: starting problem

I too had the same problem with my 67 Imp.  Got tired of going to Sears to have them check the battery with their carbon pile.  I found a carbon pile tester at Harbor Freight Liquidators for $59.99.   Makes testing the old fleet a lot easier.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 11:12 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: starting problem

Have the battery load tested.  I recently had a friend who called me to help on his disabled 383.  Same situation, lights/accessories were fine but the motor wouldn't crank.  I jumped it after cleaning the battery terminals and it started fine.  I thought the problem was cured, but the next day the solenoid made the common clicking sound indicating low battery voltage.  The battery was replaced and no problems since.  Batteries that become totally discharged are sometimes permanently damaged, and those with little use to maintain charge will fail prematurely.  This may not be your problem, but a auto parts will do a free load test to eliminate the battery being the cause.  Good luck!  Joe Reiss