Re: IML: Catalytic converters

Catalysts were not specifically required in 1975. The emissions standards
were tightened such that the only way for most manufacturers to meet them
was to install catalytic converters, but there were passenger cars sold
without cats through 1977.

I had one: a '77 Honda Civic CVCC that sipped regular gas. It never failed a
smog check in the 13 years I owned it (and that was with a 3-barrel carb and
manual choke that I never did a thing to beyond a spritz of Gumout once a
year).

In 1978 the standards got stricter still and by then all cars (except
diesels) had cats.
--
Chris in LA
67 Crown