Re: IML: brake conversion's and upgrades on 59's

Re: IML: brake conversion's and upgrades on 59's

If you are a purist in every respect and see no justification for modifying your Imperial's brakes, please delete this message. If you interested in exploring some alternatives, please read on.

Three things about drum brakes. These are just my opinions, beliefs and experiences, so please do not feel personally attacked if any of this runs contrary your opinions, beliefs or experiences. I drive a '59 Plymouth in heavy traffic several days per week.

1.) The original "Full Contact" drum brakes worked fine much of the time, but seemed to need constant adjustment if I wanted a consistent pedal or if I wanted the car to stop in a straight line every time. Even brand new brake hardware and having an old time Mopar mechanic help me set everything up did not change this.

2.) The issue of brake shoe lining material. This is especially critical when you take into account that our car's original drum brakes were designed to be used with asbestos lining. Some mechanics and restorers believe the materials used today have different heat dissipation characteristics and this may affect both fading rate and stopping distance. I do not know if anybody has ever done a comparison to see if this is true. If it is true, perhaps the original brakes will not perform as well as they could if the original material is not used.

3.) Depending upon the total contact surface of pad to disk or shoe to drum, many newer vehicles, including some 1960s drum brake equipped cars, have a shorter stopping distance than some of the 1950s and early 1960s cars. There have been advances in brake technology since the late 1950s. I AM NOT saying disk brakes are better than drum brakes. I am just saying that newer vehicles have better ways of dissipating heat, use dual hydraulic circuits, have a proportionately larger friction surface area and stay in adjustment longer.

When you take into account that many urban dwellers deal with crowded roadways and aggressive drivers, any advantage that can keep an often driven vintage vehicle's braking consistent and easy to maintain is fine in my book. Providing, of course, that the modifications can be reversed so the car may still receive a proper restoration if and when the time comes.

I used this kit on my '59 Plymouth:

http://www.aajbrakes.bravepages.com/

It not only made my '59 stop more consistently, but the car has a shorter braking distance in a full out "panic stop." Probably because the pad to disk contact area is larger than the original narrow drums and shoes.

There is also a rear disk brake kit available from this supplier which means no more hassles with pulling the rear drums to change the shoes.

K.