Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 11:48 PM
Subject: IML: Side marker lights started in '68, Chrysler's name for them, and why only one year design...

In '68 Chrysler was so ticked off about all the mandated equipment, and
starting emissions rules in '68, (in '69 head restraints, and locking
steering columns were on the mandated way) and all the goodies all cars were
required to have starting in '66 with seat belts, left side outer side
mirrors, reverse lights, etc... These were all standard on Imperials for
years, except seat belts, which were a dealer installed option, and in
varying configurations, such as front only, two front & rear, or three front
& rear. As I have been taught, a lot of these requirements were options on
lesser models. Check out any Dart, Valiant, Falcon, Nova, etc... And unless
it was optioned on the car there were no belts, reverse lights, side
mirrors, and padded dashes. Many of these safety features, which are
primitive compared to today's standards, were brought on by Ralph Nader, and
his book "Unsafe At Any Speed", which was published in the early '60's, and
put Ralphie on the radar in America. Ralphie single-handedly killed the
Corvair, for all intrinsic purposes, but that is not the point. The point
is that in '68 when side marker lights were mandated on all cars sold in the
U.S., Chrysler put what I have been led to believe Chrysler named them, the
small round marker lights "NADIR EYES" on all Chrysler products. The Feds
were not impressed. Chrysler was told to basically "Get with the program"
for '69, and that is why they were much larger in '69, and the '68's "Nadir
Eyes" were a '68 exclusive. I for one, love them!

Imperial content: They were on Imperials too. I think? What style is on a
'68 Imperial? Nader Eyes?

Bill Ulman
Seattle, WA
'66 Crown Convertible Coupe - Doris Day