Re: IML: I haven't seen these before...

The laws regarding side markers were kinda funny. They were part of the
sweeping FMVSS 108 (the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard that phased in
everything from collapsible steering columns and seat belts to padded
interior surfaces, head restraints and recessed interior door handles, most
of which came into production between 1967 and 1969).

In 1968 and 1969, either reflectors or illuminated side markers were
required. Chrysler Corp was the only automaker to do lights without
reflectors and then reflectors without lights nearly corporate-wide in 1968
and 1969 respectively (meaning the 1969 version was the cheaper approach...
Imperials were unique among Mopars in having the shark-gill front lamps
combining side marker lights and cornering lights but without reflectors).
Most GM and Ford products added front lamps and rear reflectors for 1968,
while most imports tended to both starting that year.

For model year 1970, the law was clearer, requiring both. There remains no
law to this day that requires turn signals to be visible from the side,
however... a ridiculous oversight in my opinion but typical of our poorly
thought-out lighting laws that still allow one bulb to handle the brake
lamps, rear turn signals and taillamps under a red lens. To me, it's even
more ironic to see advanced lighting technology like LEDs used to produce
lighting no better at communicating a driver's intentions than lights did 50
years ago. But I digress... off the soap box, boy...

Anyway, there are cars that use the front side markers to double as
side-visible turn signals, including a few Mopars starting in the late 1980s
with, of all models, the antiquated Jeep Grand Wagoneer (Grand Cherokees
still have this feature). It's a great feature accomplished entirely by the
wiring setup, meaning it adds a benefit at virtually no cost. (If anyone
wants to know how to wire their side markers to double as turn signals,
email me privately. I've converted a number of my cars to do this.) I think
the '90s Imperials might have been the first to do this, but owners of those
can tell me if Chrysler even bothered. It was common not to do this on cars
with cornering lights standard, so it might not have been included on any
Imperial.

If Joe's '61 has these, they pre-date even Chrysler's use of their signature
fender-mounted turn signals, which were visible in most cases to both the
driver and a parallel driver in an adjacent lane, which means someone added
them. Their first use on an Imperial was in 1967 (also the first year for
cornering lamps), though I think C-bodies offered them as early as the 1965
body change. The unusual aspect of the 1967-68 design is that there were no
turn-signal indicator lamps on the dash (you know, the little green arrows),
so the fender-top indicators are all there is. But since they were standard
on all Imperials in those years (and I think every year thereafter through
the 1978 NYBs), I guess they figured the lights in the dash were not
necessary. But even Road Test magazine comments on how hard they were to see
in bright sunlight,a nd the original relay was rather quiet, too. Lesser
Mopars had both (dash and fender-top) because the fender-mounted turn
signals were optional, usually part of the basic option package A01 (and
after 1968, Imperials shared basic instrument-cluster designs with
lower-level Chryslers).

I'd guess someone added them to this car from another car, maybe another
Chrysler. Joe, got any pix? I could probably ID their origin for you (send
it privately). Are they on the sides of the front fenders or on top? Either
way, no country required them this early, so I would imagine one of your
car's prior owners added them.

OK, long story, so that's all for now!

--
Chris in LA