Re: IML: Dual Snorkels better?

yes, more snorkels are better, up to a point.  I'm
surprised that nobody has mentioned the super-rare
TNT-quadruple-snorkel option.

Aftermarket "High Performance" cleaners have a 360
degree element exposure and do away with the housing
completely, opting for two pie-pans sandwiching an
exposed filter, but that sort of thing only looks
right on a later lincoln with a chrome chain link
steering wheel (where I live, anyway).

You can get similar effects by drilling holes in the
bottom of the original air cleaner housing OUTSIDE the
outer edge of the filter element for a stock look but
better breathing.

You're getting warmer air from atop the block, but the
snorkel is getting warm air from the radiator anyway,
so as a shade-tree thing goes, it's not too bad, I
guess.  I left mine stock.

Of course you could always run a duct off the snorkel
to grab fresh, cool air from elsewhere...

But please keep in mind that the car works pretty well
as-is.  If it didn't, the dual snorkel would be a more
popular aftermarket item than it is, and that a K&N
filter element that is freer-flowing may really be the
important item to consider.  I do have several of
those  and like them very much.

Seems like dual snorkels may have been more marketing
than anything, so that people felt like they were
getting their money's worth out of the "PERFORMANCE"
option that they selected on the order form as the
salesman showed them the one on the lot and compared
it to the standard, boring cars.  An air cleaner would
be easier to spot and understand than a hotter cam or
changed compression ratios.  Bragging rights are
powerful for some in our car culture.

The Fuselsage car that I have has a cheat built in:
Try flipping the air cleaner lid upside down.  I got
that from Elijah, I think (thanks!).  You may have to
un-thread the center threaded rod a little to make the
thumb screw useable.

Do that and then go out and nail the gas and you'll
hear the roar of the secondaries and your huge flabby
car will SOUND really powerful, just like those guys
that have watermelon-sized mufflers and neon licence
plate frames on their 4-cylinder cars.

It might add some horsepower, too, but I wasn't
convinced.  Sounded meaner, though.

I'll be reviewing 20" aftermarket spinner rims next
week. Oakland, California is only one city away from
me, after all - stay tuned.

=====
Kenyon Wills