RE: IML: Alternator Question

> My trouble is this:  I can't seem to find a
> replacement alternator, primarily because I don't
> know what I am looking for.  The gal at NAPA said
> she could get one for a '74 Imperial with a 400 cid
> engine rated at I think she said, 65 amperes output,
> but her computer system showed zilch for a 413 cid
> engine.  She also was able to get one for the 440
> cid engine size, but again, zilch for a 413.  Any
> suggestions?

I would guess you found a "manual impaired" Napa worker.  Advance auto
parts has two different alternators available for your car and even
keeps one of them in store stock in my area.  Their rebuilds tend to be
lower quality than I would like but at least they are cheap.  They also
have the voltage regulator in stock.  You can shop online at
www.partsamerica.com

Your car should run with the battery disconnected but this can be a very
bad idea on a newer computer controlled Imperial.  The battery acts as a
filter and without it you can feed some really dirty power in to the
computer controlled equipment frying it in short order.  I would go
ahead and replace the alt and voltage regulator and see how it looks
after that.  Keep the old ones for emergency spares!

                 Steve B.