Re: IML: IML DIGEST

"Your car may either have not had dual exhaust from the factory, or had its
snorkel replaced by a standard one."

My car is a factory dual exhaust car. No doubt about it. But the previous owner stated to me that while it had a dual snorkel air cleaner, it was the "1969 style" with the breather port on the air cleaner body rather than the on the driver's side snorkel. It had an Imperial pie tin. So either this style air cleaner was phased in during the 1968 model year (I also found one on a yellow 1968 New Yorker about fifteen years ago, along with a "TNT" pie tin, orange engine, etc.) or both the yellow New Yorker and my Imperial received a 1969 dual snorkel air cleaner at some point during their existence. I am assuming the New Yorker was an actual 375hp engine due to the orange color and the presence of C body performance exhaust manifolds. All 1968 Imperials I've seen with dual exhaust have/had a blue engine with the regular style exhaust manifolds. More on this below.

It seems this is a 1968 with a "1969" style air cleaner pictured here:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1968/SpottersGuide/air-cleaner.jpg

Can't tell where the breather port is in this second picture, though both of these pictures show the flat front filter body:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1968/SpottersGuide/Dual-440-Engine.jpg

As for that dual snorkel thread on the C body page, I have seen several flat front dual snorkel air cleaners with the snorkel mounted breather port, including two with an Imperial pie tin, selling on eBay. These sell in the $250.00 plus range when offered, but the ones with the notch in the filter body that also have the snorkel mounted breather port seem to sell for considerably less. The flat front "1969" style with the breather port in the filter body also sell for less than the flat front ones with the breather port in the driver's side snorkel. Go figure.

I asked about the exhaust manifolds because of the parts manual page here:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1968/Parts/page.php?page=5

It shows different parts numbers for the dual exhaust engine's exhaust manifolds. Yet the manifolds on factory dual exhaust cars look just like the ones used on the single exhaust cars. I was curious about the different part numbers.

I hope I have clarified my inquiries. I don't wish to be responsible for a war erupting between Texas and California Imperialists. ;-)

K.